Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 18:11:44 EDT
>From:    Michelle White <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: angora ferrets
>I've seen an ad for Parrots of the World in Modern Ferret magazine, and
>they have the long-haired ferrets pictured in the ad.  I think they cost
>$400+ shipping from Denmark.

Wow!  $400 base price!  Is that for an altered kit?

>... they were a cross between a domestic ferret and "the European fitch",
>whatever that is.  The article quoted a ferret show judge as saying that
>the angora ferrets weren't proportioned correctly (for a show ferret) and
>mentioned that their personalities aren't so great, either.  What a slam!

Well, as far as I have understood, the "European Fitch" is a ferret raised
for fur purposes.  They have longer coats and may be a little larger than a
"regular" domestic ferret.

Many breeders and ferret clubs consider the Angora ferret to be a mutation
of genes.  This is why they have the longer coat - incidentally that is how
"new" colors came about - DEW, cinnamon, champagne, silver, chocolate, etc -
as the standard was albino & sable.

Remember that the Angora was derived from animals bred for fur only - not
temperament or conformation.  That is why the judge, I am sure, said that.
Furriers do not care about personalities - they don't treat them like pets
or handle them like pets.  I am sure most are handled with leather gloves.
Conformation doesn't matter (unless it is severe) for fur production.  I
have a book on mink that shows that fact well - many genetic problems like
missing tails, partial tails, midgit mink, etc.

Furthermore, Angora ferrets are not in the "standards" for showing.  As I
said, they are considered a mutation.  I think that if Angoras were allowed
to be judged (which I don't think I have ever seen anything saying they
were not), a new class would have to be added for the championships, or at
the very least, a specialty.  I am not sure there are enough Angoras to
warrent that, tho.

>I'm hoping someone else will have something more encouraging to say.
>Doesn't anyone on the list own one of these guys?

I knew of a breeder in my area that got one because they were so beautiful.
She ended up getting rid of it (not sure where it went) because the ferret
would attack her and her husband.  She also had a mink and said the mink
was more trusted then the Angora.  Of course I have no idea how she handled
the ferret - ie training, housing, reprimanding - so I don't know if the
temperament was a direct result of that handling.

I also know of a pet store (now out of business) that sold Angora kits.
They sold for $250 each and came from a breeder in FL (now not there).
Many reports from the store that the kits were agressive and they got many
returned.  They then stopped carrying them and went with a local breeder (I
was approached, but do not sell to pet stores).

Hope you can find the info you're looking for.  I have many a time thought
about getting an Angora as I have seen web sites that state they are
wonderful.  Really would like to know first hand - just don't have the
extra $400 lying around!

Amy Flemming
Flemming Farms
http://www.geocities.com/heartland/ranch/9521