From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 16:38:22 -0500
>How long has Kai had polycythemia vera, are there any symptoms, how long
between blood tests did you go and what was the blood cell count that
determined this?  How is Kai doing?  One of my kids just had bloodwork
done and the vet told me she had a slightly elevated red blood cell count.
I asked what would happen if it went up and he said it could trun into PV.
In his opinion it is very rare.  He's only heard of two ferrets having it.
He is definately one of the most knowledgeable vets around and I don't
believe he has personally ever treated a ferret for this.  So, I need to
be as knowledgeable as I can so that I can keep on top of things.  Thanks
in advance for any info forthcoming!

I have been treating Kai for polycythemia vera for several months now.  He
was lethargic, had a huge, hard spleen, and his Hct was over 90%.  He is
doing very, very well at this time.  I would not be concerned with a
slightly elevated red count, but consider having it checked again in a
month or so.

Dr. Ruth
Save lives - spay or neuter your pet.