From:
Cheryl Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2013 07:00:06 -0600
It seems I have poked my nose into a situation where is isn't wanted. I
made a mistake and I am sorry. Please do not send donations in Hitch's
name to Dr Cavanaugh, the situation is taken care of. Thank you.

[Moderator's note: Vikki sent the following response for me to include
in this retraction:

Cheryl's comments about Hitch's condition were mostly accurate. Hitch
was surrendered to the Kansas City Ferret Hotline. He was handed over
in a urine soaked bed with feces. Kim Pace, one of the members of the
board of directors of the Kansas City Ferret Hotline immediately
cleaned him up and wrapped him in clean bedding. When Kim examined
him she found that not only was he blind and adrenal (as we had been
informed by the folks that surrendered him), but also he had been
severely neglected, had ear mites and had a tumor next to his penis.
Hitch is approximately 8 years old and is very sweet and is eating
up all the attention and love he is receiving.

Hitch is not being treated by Dr. Cavanaugh. We are fortunate in the
Kansas City area to have a number of good ferret vets. Hitch was seen
by Dr. Dianne Barr at Parkville Heights Animal Hospital on Monday,
January 28, 2013. She took an aspirate of his tumor, which she believes,
from initial testing, to be malignant. He does not have parasites or
worms, but does have ear mites. She has recommended removing the tumor
as soon as possible to avoid it growing more and possibly wrapping
around his urethra and affecting his ability to urinate. Hitch's blood
glucose is good, he is urinating well, and he is active and happy. He
has been given a Lupron injection to treat his adrenal disease. He is
going to undergo surgery to remove the tumor and the biopsy will be
sent to a lab for further diagnosis. Once his surgery and treatment for
the tumor is completed, Dr. Barr will determine if he needs to continue
receiving Lupron injections to treat his adrenal disease or if he is a
candidate for the Deslorelin implant.

As we do have a number of adoptable and/or fosterable ferrets in our
care at this time, we DO need assistance with Hitch's vet bills. We do
believe that he deserves a fighting chance and will do all in our power
to see that he has every opportunity possible to live out his life in a
happy, loving home with a good quality of life.

If anyone is interested in helping with Hitch's veterinary bills, he
is being treated at Parkville Heights Animal Hospital. Their address is
8830 NW 63rd Street, Parkville, MO 64152 and their phone number is
(816) 741-2247. Our website is ferrethotline.com, our Facebook fan page
is Kansas City Ferret Hotline in KCMO and our Facebook group page is
Kansas City Ferret Hotline Association. The members of the board of
directors are: Sharon Cannon, Katie Carr, June Phipps, Kim Pace, Maria
Robison , Gina Coffey and Vikki Lager. Any of us can confirm and/or
expand on the information contained herein.

Vikki Lager
Board Member
Kansas City Ferret Hotline