From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 23:30:32 -0400
I appreciate everyone's comments about being polite at the vets when faced
with a ferret emergency, and I'm all for it, I really am.  I'm sure there
are many clinics at which demands would not have to be made.  But, we've
all heard enough vet horror stories here to know that not every clinic is
like your clinic.  Even at the best clinics, sometimes the wrong people
handle the phone or counter.

It's easy to have high ideals when all is well and one is not faced with
this situation.  It's also easy to say your vet would never do this.
99.9% of the time, neither would mine.  Mine has rushed to the clinic on
Thanksgiving when my Punky Doodle was near death.  But, I did go in
another time with what I considered an emergency, and I'm not prone to
overreacting, and was told by the receptionist that I needed an
appointment.  I demanded that she get the doctor and things changed real
fast.  I don't feel the least bit unreasonable for making that demand,
even after all the comments here that one should be polite and
understanding in these situations.  My ferret's life was more important
than being a pleasent person.

So don't tell us how your clinic would handle it, tell us how you would
handle the situation when it happens.  Your ferret is extremely ill, may be
near death, and you're told you can't see the vet without an appointment...
which is not available for a day or so.  The vets are not all in surgery or
involved in other life or death situations, just seeing day to day clients
with vaccinations and assorted other mundane tasks.  Tell me you'll walk
away.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* Secretary, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
* A 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation
*
* Shelter web site:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc