Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2012 21:29:39 -0700
On 10/11/2012, my ferret girl, Mony, had a biopsy done on lump on
her back. It was determined to be a soft tissue sarcoma, grade 2,
malignant, and locally aggressive and invasive. My vet was able to get
about 2/3 of the tumor when he did the biopsy. Prior to the biopsy,
Mony had hind-leg paralysis and some incontinence of her bowel and
bladder. Afterwards, she regained a majority of her mobility and was
no longer incontinent.

I took Mony back to the vet on 10/22/2012 because her paralysis
returned as well as her incontinence. The tumor had also increased in
size. She was given injections of Clavamox and prednisone (I don't
recall the dosage amounts). Mony regained some mobility but still
experienced some incontinence. But relief was short lived. Mony can no
longer use her hind-legs and totally incontinent of bowel and bladder
and the tumor slowly continues to increase in size. After consulting
with my vet, he believes there are not many other options to help Mony.
So we have decided to try oral prednisone and pain medication in an
attempt to provide her with a better quality of life.

I have accepted the inevitable. But if there is a chance Mony's quality
of life can improve for a little while, I am not going to give up on
her. Her spark is still in her eyes and she is not willing to give
up the fight either. Mony's appetite has decreased slightly but is
otherwise doing okay, despite her limitations. She manages to drag
herself up a small ramp to a shelf in her cage where she crawls into
a hammock with her sister, Nonnie. When she is out of her cage, Mony
is able to drag herself a short distance to her favorite hiding spot.

The reason I am posting Mony's story is to request any information
anyone may have on this type of sarcoma. I have done a little research.
But I have not found much information.

Here is a link to pictures I took of Mony's tumor. If you have
difficulty viewing the link, please email me.

<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151286065685791.515469.739475790&type=1&l=52acd084be>

[Facebook login NOT required :-) BIG]

Thanks,
Mony's Mom