From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 13:51:45 -0400
We've never lost a ferret to adrenal surgery; of course we've had fine
vets.  Have had many go a number of years afterward with happy and healthy
lives.  Never had an early adrenal growth in one of our crew till this
year (at age 3 and 1/2); the earliest before was at age 5 years.  Unless
a ferret has something contraindicating surgery we always have surgery
done; if it's contraindicated then we find if there is a medical approach
appropriate to the individual's needs.

It has been interesting to read from more people who have experience in
relation to Kit and Caboodle.  Bill and Diane Killian know a good deal
about breeding and are reported to carefully cull lines when that is called
for, so I hope the new owners of K&C take that advice into account since
they note that a number of the lines in the purchased stock should be
culled.  (Their takes are based on strong experience.) Perhaps they will
even have the Killians or others help them learn how to best breed in ways
which take into account health, longevity, and personality.  Do hope so.  I
was glad also to learn that they have perhaps 3 to 5 years of experience,
but do wonder how someone can go with only that as a base-level into
breeding hundreds and do so safely.  Hope their plan is to follow lines for
a while and do responsible line-culling before selling, but know that they
likely will not be able to afford that unless they have other income.  If
they can afford that hiatus it would be the best approach.  Certainly
always hope that breeders continuously improve record keeping and the
following of lines for the essentials.  Am left with the same concerns from
what I have read today, but not with the same feeling of urgency unless
there start being reports of irresponsible actions.  Am not wild about
farms in general; they simply can't follow lines and have other reasons for
concern.  Farms are still typically better than backyard breeders since
past a certain point they at least have federal inspections.  Anyone know
off-hand what number causes this point to be reached?  If I were going to
buy rather than donate and adopt I'd still prefer a responsible and
loving small breeder who carefully follows lines for the essentials like
longevity, health, and personality.  We adopt, though, and urge others to
also do that to help ferrets and shelters.

Pat asks:
>How do you advertise ferrets as being long lived when this is the first
>year breeding them?  You are taking the word of the previous breeder.
>Did they track every kit and know this for sure?

These are excellent questions for anyone new to breeding.  Perhaps they
mean to wait on sales, follow lines and then breed only the ones which are
medically robust?  If so, that would be very welcome news.  If not, then IF
they are saying these things without good enough records to logically make
the claim they should drop the claim, follow the kits (at least randomly
and in large numbers), and aim to have this health criterion as a GOAL.