From:
Bryan Archell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 1996 15:13:11 -0500
Hello everyone!

After waiting patiently for over a month for a new litter of fuzzies to
arrive, I have allowed a ferret to choose me as its person for the first
time.  Lia's about 7 weeks old, and she's thoroughly adorable (but what
ferret isn't?)

My question is:  Is it odd for a kit to be unresponsive to noise at this
age?  I'm beginning to suspect that she might be deaf, as she has yet to
ever look in the direction of a noise (regardless of volume, frequency,
etc).  If she is deaf, can I expect to be able to train her, and will she
be able to lead a normal life of frolicing?

Also, I tried to clean her ears out, as there appears to be a fair bit of
ear wax (normal reddish-brown colour).  I'm trying to use Ear-X (by Hagen),
which is a drop-in, shake-out product.  However, I can't keep her still to
get it in her ears, or massage it once I manage to get even a drop in, or
to clean out visible particles with a cotton swab.  I've been able to keep
her still to cut her nails using the linatone-on-belly trick (and it works
fantastically), but I've been unsuccessful with the ear problem.

Thanks, and many happy dooks,
Bryan Archell