From:
Mahlyssa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 12:20:01 -0500
Just a little note for people who are wary of adopting older ferrets.
The ones that my parents adopted - first time ferret owners - was the
greatest thing they could have done.  They are not really old - just
older.  About 2 years old.  I don't think I could picture my mom running
around and dealing with the hyperness of 2 baby ferrets.  At first I was
a little disappointed as they seemed to sleep all day and didn't seem to
be very cuddly.  I thought maybe my parents wouldn't be impressed since
they had been taking care of my baby while I have been sick.  Now it has
been 6 weeks and they are a blast!!  It is very amusing to watch how much
more clever they are then my ferret *L* They cuddle now, they dance for
you, they even dook with glee!!  They have the cutest things about them.
Zena doesn't do the typical war dance, she is an expert at shuffling
backwards.  She will shuffle all through the house!!  Topaz has this
"aura" about her that makes you think that she is sweet and innocent.
Yeah RIGHT!!  She jumps on our cats' back and plays rodeo. :-)  They beg
for treats and come to you for kisses.  When I look back on the pictures
of my ferret - he looked so tiny - almost fake.  But back then I really
didn't realize it!  He feels just the same to me - except better
behaved!!  Some days I was pulling my hair out with him!!  The good thing
about older ferrets is most of the time they at least know their name.
(I have to say that I am sure that Zama knew is name all along and just
ignored me.) Sure they will bite you at first but I have to say the
biting stage was a lot shorter then with my baby!  My ferret used to bite
when you would tell him no!!  He has backed me into a corner many times
trying to massacre my poor feet.  Now that he has a reached a year old,
all that behaviour is gone, and he acts like a ferret who isn't out to
get me.  *L*  So, when you look at adopting ferrets, and each of their
pictures, don't just go for the younger ones.  The older ones have had a
hard life and in their hearts will be very thankful at a wonderful life
you have given them.  First time ferret owners might enjoy them a lot
more as well.

Thanks for listening,
Mahlyssa

Quick note: Has anyone tried the Kaytee ferret food?