From:
Jon Hagee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 1995 09:56:53 EDT
Dear Dr. Williams,

Sunday:
   My 9-month female ferret, "Baby" has had a fever since Sunday night.
She seemed OK then, at least to the kids who were playing with her (I saw
her briefly, picked her up and she seemed warm, didn't realize anything
was wrong).

Monday:
   I came from work, was feeding her and noticed she was *very* listless
and dull-eyed and real hot. That night I gave her water from a dropper,
she is eating, but not much. I humidified her room, made sure she was
warm.

Tuesday:
   Tues morning I took her to the vet.  Someone who seemed to know about
ferrets.  Dr.  Bianca Zaffarano (Lexington, KY).  She mentioned
possibilities of blockage and infection.  Gave me Amoxi (.3 cc/12 hr),
took a blood sample.  I decided not to get x-rays done immediately (low on
money).  Her fever was 105.5.  I think it may have been higher Mon.
night.  I tried to take it, but was unable.  Dr.  said she didn't seem to
be dehydrated.  She said the normal ferret temp was 102.5 (I think).

Wenesday am:
   She is a *little* more alert, still eating, defecated during the
night, still on the humidifier. We've been feeding her every 2 hours.
Was 5cc of liquid each time. We've upped that to 10cc today. A little
food (2 or 3 pellets).

She has been eating a little at a time all along. Last night & today
I fed her a mixture of Pedelyte and Gatoraid and ferret food. We are
trying to find the Duck Soup stuff, but can't get one ingredient
(Sustenal or whatever - don't have the list w/me). Still looking.

She has been urinating and defecating all along, not as much as usual,
stools seem normal, a little soft.

Just got the blood test back - 7400 white cell count.  The Dr.
recommended Ensure to eat and try to get a temperature.  She did seem
cooler this morning.

Q: Have you seem blockage where the ferret is still urinating and
defecating? Should I get the x-ray?

Any other suggestions? I appreciate your help. I may be over-reacting
but just lost a long-time pet recently and am a little gun-shy I guess.

                       Thank you very much,

                        Jon Hagee
                        (I'll check e-mail regularly)
                        (copy sent directly to you)