From:
"Pat L." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:47:52 -0500
Out of all the ridiculous things that Ed Lipinski said in his post,
the part about fasting a ferret was the one that really grabbed my
attention. This is truly the asinine thing I have heard in a very
long time. Fasting, when done by humans, is a choice. Most medical
professionals say that fasting is very unhealthy to start with. There
are people that CHOSE to fast even after being warned against it. Does
a ferret have the ability to say that they wish to go on a fast? Of
course not! Fasting is the same thing as starving an animal...period. I
am still trying to figure out how making any animal go hungry will help
with biting. Logic says it will make the animal more aggressive simply
because it is hungry.

Mr. Lipinski, I challenge you to show me one vet that will tell me
that starving an animal, especially a ferret, is a reasonable and sane
answer for biting. I would be very interested in speaking with this
vet. If you know of a vet that actually condones making a ferret go
hungry for a day or two as part of a punishment for biting, please
feel free to send me the vet's name and phone #.

I agree with many that responded to the question on biting. Love,
patience and ACCEPTABLE techniques will turn around a biter. I had a
biter once. It took lots of patience and love on my part to show her
that hands were a good thing and that biting was a bad thing. I never
resorted to starving the animal or staking out in the yard. She
eventually learned that all human hands were hurtful.

By the way Ed, I don't give a rat's ass how you feel about my typing
and grammar. I would rather be someone who didn't make it out of the
8th grade than to be someone who would be cruel to animals. Hey! Hey!
Which side of the bell curve are you on, Pilgrim?

Pat L.