From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 19:16:52 -0500
I recently got my first ferret on a trip to Las Vegas.  I had always wanted
one and have been reading about them all I can.  I had no intentions of
getting a ferret when I went into the pet store, but just to look and she if
this is reallly what I wanted to spend what little money I have on (poor
student).  Well as you can probably figure I fell in love with a 14 week old
female, I have no idea what kind she is. They told me she had been descented
and spayed and had her first shots, but I haven't found a vet in California
to take her to yet and get her completely checke out.  I love her dearly but
after 3 weeks of constant handeling and attention, I seem to have a nipping
problem, maybe even biting, she usually draws blood when she does this.  I
am starting to get worried, because from what I have heard they usually
learn fast.  SHe love to play chase and other games but when I try to hold
her she gets extremely scared and begings to shake.  This is when she tries
to bite anythig and everything she can get a hold of.  I have tried the
strong NO, the flick on the nose, time-out in the cage and even to spray her
with some water when she bites.  I usually where one glove when I hold her
and she knows it doesn't hurt when she bites the glove and so looks for hte
bare skin.  I am trying to type this with a bandaged finger right now.  My
hands are starting to look really bad.  As a first time ferret owner I have
no idea if this is normal or if I may have a ferret with a problem.
Regardless of the out come I still adore her but just wnat to be able to
handle her with out being worried.  If anybody has any suggestions, I would
be extremely gratefull.

Thanks from northern cali