From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 1995 11:40:17 -0800
Hi Bethie,

Check out the Ferret FAQ--I think it answers some of your questions,
and will probably be generally interesting to you.  Send the message
"SEND ANSWERS PACKAGE FERRET" to "[log in to unmask]".  But I'll
answer your questions my way too.

> Is it boring for Pix . . . to have no variety [in his food]?

My ferrets seem to appreciate a change every so often.  We switch among any
of the premium "growth formula" cat foods.  They get treats too, which
provides some variety.  Conveniently, the older ferrets have recently been
stealing the new cat's "regular" Iams instead of eating the Science Diet
"growth" that is always available to the ferrets, while the younger ferrets
are sticking to the growth food.

>And, most importantly, is there any other food equal to or better
>than Marshalls?

I think the consensus is that any of the ferret foods or premium cat foods
are just fine, maybe Totally Ferret is at the top of the heap, and like you
said Iams seems to be quite popular too.  Many people switch from a "growth
formula" (kitten food) to adult cat food when their ferrets get to be 3-4
years old, to go easier on the aging kidneys.

>. . . "feeding ferrets cat food will shorten their life span."

They may have been referring to "grocery store" cat foods, which probably
aren't so great for ferrets.  I think they have insufficient and/or low
quality protein, especially for young ferrets.

>. . . If I do switch his foods will it be difficult for me to make
>the change?  Maybe if I combine them...

Mixing in 10% of the new food one day, then 20% the next day, etc., on up
to 100% seems to help with some finicky ferrets, but not always.  A varied
diet early on seems to be important to prevent finicky eating for life.
One of my ferrets (the girl) is fussy about food; the others will hoover
just about anything as long as they think it's forbidden.

>It might be a little straining for me to buy ten dollars' worth of
>Marshalls every week.  And maybe if I combine Iams with Marshalls
>that will be okay.(?)

I think whatever premium cat "growth formula" food (Iams, Science Diet,
Nutro Max Cat) your ferrets will eat is just fine.  My five go through a
$14 bag of SD Growth in a little under a month.

The most expensive part of owning ferrets for me has been the veterinary
care.  Three out of five have never had an expensive problem, but the other
two sure made up for it, so you might be increasing your expected costs
with another one.  (Better ferret-proofing might have helped avoid one of
the problems.) Even with a little extra expense, I'd still say that it's
great for an only ferret to have a little play-buddy, especially if you
aren't available to play every day until your only ferret is tuckered out.

If you can, let your ferret choose or be chosen by the potential new one.
My friend Todd took his ferret Seldon to a shelter, where Seldon got to run
around with 8 or 12 available ferrets.  One sturdy little girl ferret (OK,
"jill") followed Seldon around everywhere, and seemed to really like him,
so she's the one that went home with them.

>They also told me that ferrets purchased from stores that have been
>neutered (like Pix) are in danger.  They said that pet stores often
>spay or neuter the babies too early...

"In danger" and "often leave tissue behind" are too strong.  Leaving male
ferrets intact until they're mature results in a heftier, more bear-like
ferret, and there has been some question about increased risk of cancer
among early neuters, but I don't think there are any strong conclusions.
When reproductive tissue gets left behind, the ferret will show signs of
being unaltered; females will go into heat, develop a swollen vulva, etc.;
males will go into rut, drip urine to mark territory, etc., and can
certainly require surgery to fix the problem.  So as long as you pay
attention to your pet, you would know if that becomes a problem.

>When a ferret licks you, do you think it's a sign of affection?

Either that or he's deciding how you'll taste when he chomps down. :-)
Yes, I think that licks are a sign of affection, or maybe even concern
for your well-being.

Happy Ferreting!
Dennis