From:
reanee gladden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Feb 2006 16:43:27 +0000
We adopted Zane into our household and our hearts about a year and a half
ago.  He was two and a half years old.My vet has a retired Greyhouune
rescue.  Jut a fact that many people do not know.  There is a country
where greys are hung.  It is supose to be an honor to them.  The better
the dog did in racing the higher got hung, so it would die faster.  If
the dog did not do good with racing it is hung with it's feet touching
the ground so it will have to fight and take longer to die.  My vet had
one such dog.  This dogs name is Lucky, he was hung high and the rope
broke.  He got to live with a huge scar as a reminder for the rest of his
life.  My vet ended up rescuing this dog.  Anyway back to my guy Zane.
He is a beautiful brindle.  I call him my tiger boy.  When we lost my
hubbys beloved Doberman Mason, we decided to adopt a grey.  We met at the
vets to see prospective dogs.  My vet knows I have ferrets and they were
able to bring out dogs that were deemed cat safe.  Zane was the second
dog that came out to meet us.  We spent some time with him, took him out
to walk and went home to think about it and see if our application would
be accepted.  It was.

Before Zane ever came home, we set up a visit where I could bring in the
ferrets.  I took a cageof 4 of them in.  We went into one of the exams
rooms and placed the cage on the floor.  They brought Zane in leashed and
mussled.  He toltaly ignored the ferrets and the cage.

We then removed the muzzle.  Never once did his ears flag.  He did sniff
the cage for a couple of seconds.  The ferrets were clamoring to get out
so they were active, but no respone from Zane he completely ignored them.
Zane came home with us two days later to be come part of our family.  We
have a large back yard and to see him running is a wonderous sight to
behold.  I adore this dog.  But as much as I love him, my ferrets are not
free roam.  I have two rooms for them with paypens across the opening to
one, and a half door on the other.  Zane has never tried to get through
either area.  If I do bring a ferret out for some reason, I have to be
careful because Zane will try to nip the tail.  He also will go after
the cats when given a chance.

Zane did eat my beautiful singer male canary.  My own fault.  I didn't
get the cage door totaly shut and the bird got out and flew down from
upstairs.  All we found left was a few tail feathers.  We know it was
Zane because he also brought me a beautiful cardina he had caught out in
the yard.  He was so proud of himself.  He came troting with his fresh
kill to the door, presenting me with what he thought was a trophy.

Before Zane came home with us I found as much info on Greys as I could
on the internet.  I also read the info and the book from the vet fully.
We knew what kind of dog we were getting.

Greys are a wonderful companion.  I have had no regrets in adopting him.
One other bit of info on Greys is they have very thin skin.  We had Zane
in for stitches three time in a month from him and my shepard playing
tag in the yard.  The skin is so thin it just rips back like a piece of
paper.  Poor guy.  Just as with any animal, know what you are getting
into.  The more info you have the better chance you and your new pet
will have the long happy relationship the pet deserves.

Greys love to run, find a Grey group in your area that met for runs, in
places like school foot ball fields.  These dogs love to compete.  They
are all muzzled during these runs.  They get very excitable and one could
easily be hurt without the muzzles.  They use the plastic basket muzzles.
Besure also to get the greyhound collar.

Oh one more fact on Greys.  A racing Greys is taught never to sit.  If
they do they are prodded til they stand.  They are taught this, so they
never sit at the starting gate at a race.  I never force Zane to sit
while on a lead.  It is something they remember the rest of their lives.
If you ever see retired racers at a gathering you will never see one of
them sitting.  They are either standing or laying down.