From:
Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 08:04:03 EST
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Ferret Soup  and Good Mother Earth

Here at Ferrets NorthWest FNW we've had success with the K9 imprinters by
using 2 drops of Ferretone on the supine, open palm of the hand for the
nipper to lick EVERYTIME you pick him(er) up.  We hold the critter neck-high
on the right forearm and against your chest, so when he's licking the FT
from the palm, you talk to him in a happy voice, always using the same
words.  Be sure to breathe heavily on your fuzzy so your breath becomes your
scent signature to your critter, as does your skin scent also with the drops
of Ferretone.

In addition, when feeding the warm soup LUMPS, dip your finger tip into the
soup and allow him to lick the soup from your finger, all the time rotating
your finger so he gets to lick it all clean.  Just be alert to a possible
mouth grab after all the soup's licked away, at least for the first several
times you try this.  This encouragement of the licking response tends to
negate K9 imprinting quite effectively for us.

Tis good that you allowed Gus access to Mother Earth.  Here at FNW, all our
ferrets, except the boarded ones, get to dig short tunnels and curling pits
during the dryer summer months in our digging grounds.

Yes, it does get dry in Seattle on that one day of summer we have every
year.

We stake up to 14 ferrets at a time on 7 stakes in what was formerly our
grassy side lawn.  They are SECURELY harnessed in figure 8 leather harnesses
(Englander imports), each with a 3 foot nylon/cotton leash line, looped in
the end that is dropped over a 1 foot vertical steel rod projecting from the
ground.  And let me tell you, you don't have to encourage them to dig...they
dig furiously and drag their diggings, their own little piles of dirt,
between front and rear paws while backing up out of their tunnels.  Very,
very enjoyable to watch them dig, because they seem to enjoy it so much.
Also the males develop heavy muscles in their shoulders and neck.  As you
probably know, they are in the same family as the badger, one of the worlds
greatest diggers.

At least two benefits: 1.  No longer need to trim claws.  2.  No longer need
to bathe any ferret.  The good, clean Mother Earth just happens to be the
best ferret shampoo there is.  Those big ballbearing adult hobs come out
absolutely odorless, except for the scent of fresh clean earth on their
pelts.

Just reflect on this a moment...how long would an adult ferret survive its
natural predators if it smelled strongly?  Probably not very long.  However,
when they live in the soil, their odor completely disappears and their scent
differentiation to a predator must be absolutely minimized.

I would heartily encourage you to let Gus out often so he could dig for joy.

Edward Frettchenvergnuegen Lipinski,