From:
TannerMini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 1998 11:32:48 EST
Hello all,

It's been awhile since I posted, and every time I do, it has to do with the
rabies issue on our beloved fuzzies.

Spent most of the morning on the phone again with Dr. Laura Banks of the
county animal control.  The county ordiance meeting for the 2nd Tuesday of
the month has been postponed till the 24th, as of right now.

Since I spoke last with Dr Banks, she contacted Dr Attistead (spelling?) in
Santa Fe, and now has done a turn around on the Ferret issue....
YEAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!  The Ferret will be listed under domestic pets with the
rabies issue and a possible $2.00 license fee per animal.  She is sending me
a copy of the proposed changes.  I will have that in hand shortly, I hope.
One thing that bothered me was that she really DID NOT want me to attend the
county meeting.  Hmmmmm sure has me wondering!!!!  She told me that if there
was nothing for me to bring up, there was no need for me to attend.  Well I
will stay on top of this to make sure she is doing what she told me.  Don't
give up that easy and I am not taking just anyones word for it either.  I
want to see the changes for myself and make sure.

As far as the State of NM is concerned, Dr Attistead is going ahead with the
Rabies recomendations...however, we are dealing with wasting a lot of time
while this is being done with the typical red tape.  We are talking time
here, as much as one year down the road.

While talking to Los Lunas (Valencia County) and the city of Bernalillo
(Sandoval County) animal control, they are not aware of anything and
requesting a copy of the recommendations.  Yes, I will be happy to send it
to them, so they have it for reference.

Now for some help!!!!
If there are any other ferret owners/lovers in the state of NM....I am
looking for the west, south and eastern regions...I have contacts up north,
please call your animal control and ask if they are aware of the new rabies
issue.  If you need help what to tell them, please email me privately and I
will be more than happy to help you in any way I can.  My goal is to let
each county and city animal care agency know so they are aware of this
change.  If you are concerned about getting involved...just forwarding me
contact phone numbers and names of people would also help me, and I can make
the calls.  Please take the time and make a difference.

Happy Ferreting to all
Mini and her gang of 8.....