From:
[log in to unmask] (Cindy Aleszczyk)
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 1994 16:22:41 -0500
Just wanted to let you know the latest expeditions of Pippin.  As my SO works
for Reebok, there are always tennis shoes around the house - our own or
samples that he receives by the boxful to take on store visits with him.

Anyway, as I was reclining on the couch, Sunday evening around 8:30, Pippin
decided to steal my brand new tennies (I've worn them twice) and hide them
behind the couch.  No biggie, right?  Well, about 9pm I realized that I needed
to run to the grocery store to make a cake for a friend's birthday.  So, in
search of the shoes I go.  Pippin had not only stolen my shoe, but had decided
that it would make a tasty and colorful snack.  She's never chewed anything
before, so I was shocked and upset.  She'd eaten the upper part of the tongue
of the shoe - spandex/lycra and, oh no...the foam rubber!!!

I immediately called up to Jeremy (my SO) and when no part of the rubber or
material could be found, we used the peroxide/water trick to make her vomit.

You take equal parts water and peroxide - I used approximately 1/4 cup total
and MAKE HER DRINK IT.  She vomited everything within a half hour, but continued
to have the dry heaves the rest of the night.  This should only be done
 immediately following ingestion of something like foam (which will expand in
 the digestive
tract and block the ferret).

After much worrying, Nutrical and Laxatone, as well as sub cue fluids, she is
fine.  We didn't have a trip to the vet or any complications.  Just a cough or
so now and she's eating mushy food.  I think her throat is irritated, but all
is staying down and elimination is normal.  I did consult with my vet, and used
to work for a vet, so I knew what to do.  Just wanted to let anyone else out
there who may have a munchkin with a hankering for tennis shoes - beware!!

Thanks for listening.

Cindy
Beren - how come Pippin is getting all this attention???
Pippin - I'm feeling better now mom, no need to stick me again!