From:
Burness Marsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 2004 09:21:40 -0700
I have been a lurker here for about a year now and this is my first post.
I've owned cats and dogs for well over 50 years now, and ferrets for just
over a year.  It was somewhat over 30 years ago when I first discussed
vaccine protocol with my vet.  I suspect he was one of the first to see
the problems associated with vaccines and act accordingly.

I have followed his advice ever since with all my animals and have never
regretted it.  They get an initial vaccine around 3 months, another at a
year and that's it.  Cats only ever get ONE vaccine of their recommended
ones, at no less than 3 week intervals.  I have always had extremely
healthy pets, rarely sick and recovered on their own without veterinary
intervention.  Apart from accidental deaths, all lived to be at least
16-21 years of age and died of old age organ failure.

While I may have been extremely lucky, I think it is far more likely
that my pets had healthy immune systems which were not stressed and/or
weakened by being over vaccinated.  I am following the same procedure
with my two ferrets, who came from a long time friend who has been
breeding ferrets for several years and who also believes that "less
is better."

Thanks, Amy, for presenting all the evidence for those who are
sufficiently concerned for the well being of their pets to wade through
it!  Keep up the good work!!  Slowly, but surely, vets and pet owners (as
well as parents) are becoming aware that vaccination can be far more of
a health risk to more people and animals than could be caused by the
disease they are supposed to prevent.