From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2005 16:13:00 -0400
Re: euthanasia question: because ODing doesn't always work -- ditto the
IV approach.  With the IV approach when it doesn't things are actually
much worse, but i don't know if they are with the other.

For adrenal disease information:
Surgery by a ferret-knowledgeable vet is typically the best approach.
When meds are used Lupron is better than melatonin, and its better yet
to use both together.  Read in:

http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/adrenal.htm
 and
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/melatonin.htm
 and then archives such as
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org
 and
http://listserv.cuny.edu/archives/ferret-search.html

Give greatest weight to the ones from vets which are also recent.  When
you look in the sonic-weasel FHL Archives especially read things from
AFERRETVET due to his expertise in ferret endocrinology.

MarySue, when you see a place that is not taking state laws, state
prohibitions, and state licensing into account it is useful to contact
your own F&G to alert them to the site (and if they are not handy try the
vet epidemiologists in the Health Dept., and if you have time also alert
some other states.  In many states F&G professionals will focus only on
e-mails or phone calls if they come from in-state, BTW.  There ARE laws
and regs (often also licenses) governing the owning and importation of
animals to specific states as well as one on the export to other states.

MarySue wrote:
>In the meantime, I wanted to bring to your attention a concern I have
>regarding the website http://www.gotpetsonline.com/ ... grizzly bears...

Krista, I was glad to see that you posted the location and hope they
figure out what happened soon.  If the habitat there is like the one
I saw the levels are short enough that it is true that only a tiny ferret
would not be able to get into the cubes