Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 23:18:20 -0800
I know that pre-treating furkids with Benadryl (or maybe something else?)
is recommended prior to them getting distempter shots so I'm wondering...

Can over-the-counter Benadryl be given orally, just prior to arriving at
the vet's office, or should it only be administered as a shot by the vet
(for maximum, immediate potency and effectiveness?)  I have a bottle of
Childrens' Benadryl at home and was just curious. . . .

I know that it's best to wait about a minimum of 30 min. after the
distemper shots before leaving the office, to ensure there is no
reactions (although reactions can also occur hours later, unfortunately).

My furkids were last treated with the Galaxy-D and had absolutely no
reactions whatsoever but this year they will get the Fervac-D (what my
'vet of choice' has on-hand and my preference over Galaxy-D).  I've done
some research on all three vaccines (Galaxy, Fervac, and Purevax) and
feel confident that the Fervac is OK, although I've read some past FML
posts about reactions to Fervac.  Actually, I've read about reactions
to all three vaccines so none of them are absolutely "reaction proof".

Also, what *should* the vet use to combat a reaction, should one occur?
Anything else I should be aware of?

THANKS!
Jennifer and the dynamic duo, Sasha & Snowy :-)