Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 21:10:43 EDT
>Pam's comments regarding placement services make sense to me as a separate
>entity or as an alternative to a fostering or permanent sheltering system,
>but how can you ask an existing shelter to overlook its own fosters and
>their need for permanent homes in favour of ferrets who are not within
>their system.

I'm not asking for any ferrets in a shelter system to be overlooked - I
suggested that if people who visit the shelter don't see what they want,
or wish to see as many ferrets as possible, that shelters keep lists of
ferrets waiting for homes that are still with their original people.  How
many times has a person been looking for an unusual color or only was
interested in a single ferret of a specific sex or age?  These could be
ferrets staying in homes while the truely needy are in shelters.  THAT was
all I was suggesting.

Yes, I stictly operate a placement service, and it complements Faith's
shelter, but if Faith were not there, these ferrets that had to go
somewhere NOW would be going to the local animal shelters or as ads in
newspapers.  Now, I've worked VERY hard with the local animal control
facilities, and Fairfax and Alexandria are adopting out ferrets now.
Arlington has people on the inside who want to change the Animal Welfare
League's policy and start adopting out ferrets.  The ferret people in my
area have done wonders to make this area ferret friendly.  If you have
not been able to accomplish this in your area, it is time to try again.
Private shelters can not operate as if they are the only refuge for
ferrets - what if you got in a ferret with distemper and it shut down your
operation?  Where will all the other ferrets needing homes go?  You need to
work as clubs and rescues to change laws or regulations so if you dropped
off the face of the planet in a year, the ferrets would still be cared for.
Shelter volunteers can act as placement services, foster homes, adoption
counselors - many things.  Think about it, do what you can, and make things
happen.  I'm just giving ideas.  Most everyone who knows me is aware of
all I try to do to help start more shelters, and as I learn more, I try to
share concepts on alternatives as well.

Pam T.