From:
Ulrike Hassold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 18:49:55 -0000
Hi again

Jack has not been well at all today, very lethargic and depressed, slow and
shallow breathing.  He went to the toilet a lot after his op, like every
20-30 minutes as if the vet gave him a diuretic instead of antibiotics.
But I could not get food or water down him.  This morning and midday I gave
him some Ensure and some cat milk via a syringe every 1-2 hours, I maybe
got 5 ml down if not less.  Then when I tried to feed him again he started
gagging and trying to bring it all up and he looked very sick and did not
want to drink anything, he really struggled.  So I went to see the vet.

Luckily Mr Jones was there and he gave Jack an anti-inflammatory drug and I
think it was a painkiller as well but I'm not sure.  Then he tried to give
him intravenous fluids.  Couldn't find a vein so it all went under the skin
in different places, approx. 35 ml.  Jack was very lethargic and depressed
through all that and did not move or do anything while Mr Jones stuck the
needle in him again and again, Jack was just lying there as if he was
dying.  We stood looking at him when Mr Jones finished and Jack's breathing
was so shallow and we were almost waiting for Jack to stop breathing.
Jack's eyes were closed and I almost thought he'd slipped into a coma.
Like no reactions from him at all.  But when I picked him up, his eyes
opened and when I walked out of the theatre, Jack lift his head and back in
the waiting room Jack was moving again and looking around and it was like a
miracle and Mr Jones and I laughed with relief.

Well, my question now, Mr Jones mentioned kidney failure because Jack was
peeing so frequently.  I looked in my 3 vet books but could not find kidney
failure.  What does it mean?  What are the signs?  How do you treat it?
Why could it have happened if Jack does have it?

I so wish I had never had the exploratory surgery done, Jack could still be
war dancing and running around if I hadn't let him undergo surgery.

From Ulrike
and Jilly, Jack, Igor, Bella, Tom, Mason, Baby, Dana, Fox, Reno, Rose, Hope
and Jasmine

Missing Angel
West Wales Ferret Welfare
HTTP://www.ferretlove.freeserve.co.uk/