From:
Risa Di Vincenzo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2006 12:49:19 -0500
This talk of melatonin and sunrise etc has me slowly realizing what I
thought was a good idea is most likely not, and is perhaps quite
unhealthy.

A year and a half ago I moved to a small condo with a "den/office" room
that is windowless.  I thought it was ridiculous to have a room with no
window, but as it slowly morphed into a ferret room I decided it was
actually an asset.  All the talk of nesting boxes and perfect darkness -
I thought how perfect to have a darkened room.

They had the run of the condo but after a few months I started to barrier
them in the room when I was at work (for extra safety and because of many
pooping accidents).

Almost a year ago I started keeping Mikette in here pretty much all the
time, because she has absolutely no traction on the other flooring.  I
bring her out occasionally in the evening when I can cuddle her and have
set up a sort of playpen area (still improving on it) so she can be out
with me in the evening when I'm doing things.

In the last year she has lost pretty much all her fur.  She's had two
tenn panels and two ultrasounds in that time and appears not to be
adrenal.  I've been told it can be from the long term pred use (going on
three years now).

Suddenly I'm wondering, is it because she's not exposed to the natural
cycle of the sun.  I thought this room would be such a positive for
ferrets, but now I'm afraid that I may have hurt their systems.  Baby
is ok, but she's generally only in the room during my work hours.

I would really appreciate any thoughts or tips on where I can look into
more information on this.

Thank you!
Risa