From:
Mark Blanchette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 11:25:59 -0500
Greetings.

Boarding: I've checked with my vet.  They board ferrets, but do not allow
them playtime outside of the cage and are expensive (15.00 for 2 per day).
Instead of finding a private person or pet sitter who I can't confirm their
ability, I've taken another route.  Contact your local shelter.  Not only
are they Ferret wise, have other ferrets for your "kids" to play with, but
the fee is generally much less expensive and you'll be helping a shelter
out in the process.

Newbie info: I'm relatively new to being owned by a couple of wonderful
ferrets.  Some thing's I've learned are..

1. All the research, reading and preparation before being owned really
   pays off.
2. Books are great, but all the info you need is on the web and here.
   Common sense will eliminate the "junk" info
3. No matter how bad your day is, a couple of dooking ferrets will make
   everything ok.
4. This list and it's subscribers are an invaluable asset.
5. Ferrets are as different as people.  Learn their likes and dislikes.
6. A biweekly cage cleaning/bedding change and daily litter box scooping
   will eliminate almost all odor.
7. Ferrets are generally more intested in the boxes and packing material
   than the toys you actually bought for them.
8  Ferrets have good moods and bad moods.  Sometimes they want to be
   played with, sometimes they want to do their own thing.
9. Ferret maintenance is easy, once you get in the habit and set a
   schedule. (this coming from someone who is lazy)
10. Listen to others recommendations on products.  There's a reason so
    many people use Yesterday's News, Totally Ferret and Super Pet Cages.

Question: I feed Totally Ferret to my guys.  Neither of them like
Ferretone.  Is TF nutritionally sound enough that they don't need any
suppliments?  They don't eat any treats, I've tried them, but they don't
like 'em.  Other than Laxatone twice a week, all they eat is TF.  Also,
what is a healty ferret's temp supposed to be?  Just curious 'cause I
havent seen it documented anywhere.

Mark and Cathey (the owned)
Geddy and Chewie (the owners)

* Some are born to move the world and live their fantasies, but most of
  us just dream about the things we'd like to be.  -np