From:
Woozle Kisses <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 15:57:01 -0800
Hi All,

Today my in-law's neighbor came up to us and asked us if we wanted
another ferret.  Well...the truth is I'm sorta at my limit, but if the
right one came along.  Well you know how it is.  I told him to bring
the ferret out and tell us about her.

He wasn't sure if she was male or female, they haven't had her that long.
He said that they have to get rid of her because the landlord won't allow
them to have her and that they don't have enough time to devote to her.
She was vaccinated last December so she's due for vaccinations again.
She's a MF, supposedly around 3 y/o.  She looks to be a chocolate blaze
wannabe with a bib.  Very pretty, very sweet natured.  Not a biter.  :)
We were really considering taking her (actually Jason was more serious
about taking her than I was which is a shock, but anyways) but two things
arose.  Number one she doesn't seem to get along with our ferts.  Sure
she sniffs them and plays somewhat with them, but she got to the point
where she'd squeak if they came near her.  And heaven forbid if they
tried to scruff her.  She supposedly had been with other ferrets, but her
cagemates passed away.  I would be surprised if she had been with others
because she didn't seem to really know what they were all about.  And
poor George..  .I think he felt bad because she started squeaking and he
hadn't even touched her.  He's a very sensitive ferret.  But anyways,
after Zoe tried to scruff her she fought back a little.  We separated
them, and that's when George went to investigate her and she started
squeaking out of fear.  So we put our kids in the cage and noticed that
she just sort of laid there...her eyes closed a little bit.  I swear I've
never seen an insulinomic ferret but I'm almost positive that's what it
was.  To be on the safe side I put a little maple syrup (it was all we
had) on her gums to see if she'd come around.  After about a minute or so
she did and was her frisky self again.

I guess what I'm wondering is is there anyone out there that would
like to add to their business?  I would hate to see this little girl go
without a home or have something bad happen to her.  I believe her owners
do want the best for her, but are just ignorant about ferrets.  I don't
believe she was being fed the best food and think her coat quality would
improve with a better diet.  She's a tiny little thing that I think would
be best without other ferrets or other pets, but could possibly come to
love being around them with time.  I wish I could take her, but there are
a multitude of things going on with us at the moment.  I would be willing
to help out the best I could with transportation.  These folks seem to be
in a hurry to get rid of her.  They said that they were supposed to get
rid of her before the weekend was through.  :( Unfortunately I know for
a fact that they are lying to us about the landlord not allowing pets,
so I don't know if they're lying about anything else.  I also asked them
if they h ad ever witnessed her having an episode and they said that no
she'd never done that before.  I don't think they're that observant. :(

I'm scared to take her because I don't know if I can afford her (if she
does indeed have insulinoma), and because I've never had to deal with
that disease before.  Plus my ferrets live with my in-laws because we're
trying to get a house so I wouldn't be right there for her all the time.

If you can help or know anybody that can help we're located in Midland,
Michigan.  That's near Saginaw and Bay City for those who've never heard
of it.

Thanks in advance,
Holly
Zoe, George, and Kolby

p.s.
We're also on a search for a new vet because ours has since closed. :(
Any suggestions?