From:
Richard & Katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Apr 1998 09:25:05 -0400
Just thought I'd share a ferret rescue story with a happy ending.  My
friend, Shanna, and I volunteer at a wildlife rehabilitation center near
Tallahasse, Fl.  Yesterday, we went out there and immediately saw a ferret
in a cage.  The employee walked in and said "Jon said you would take the
ferret".

He was a big albino boy (3.4 lbs).  Shanna and I took him to the vet
immediately because I didn't want to take him into my house around my 4
little ones until he was checked out.  The vet pronounced him healthy.  I
took him home, cut his nails, cleaned his ears, and gave him two baths (he
was filthy!).  He was absolutely gorgeous after being prettied up.

I later received a call that the owner had been found.  I called her and
very early on in the conversation I knew what was coming.  She finally said
they didn't want the ferret back.  He wouldn't use the litter box, was being
treated like a cat (they let him outside and he would disappear for days,
but "would always come back"), and ate Chef's Blend cat food and bananas.

Shanna knew of someone who was looking for a new ferret and wanted a rescue.
She was contacted, came over to my house last night with her two females,
and ended up taking the big boy home.  Her two females and the male had a
great time playing at my house and I know he has gone to a great ferret
home.  I called this a.m.  and he still isn't eating (even though I broke
down and bought Chef's Blend since he wouldn't touch the ferret food I have
at my house).  I hope when he adjusts to being moved around forty times in
one day and settles into his new home, all will be well.

Thank you to everyone who made this possible but, most of all, thanks to
Stephanie and Derek for giving him a good home.

Katharine