Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:41:44 -0800
OK, everyone . . . I'm a bit stumped again and could use some 'unbiased'
opinions.  My Phoebe was recently seen by a "knowledgeable" ferret vet -
one whom we've gone to in the past and he's done very well for us.
At our visit last week, I voiced my concerns about Phoebe's lack of
appetite, teeth grinding, and tiny amounts of "pudding poops" (as I call
them), despite the carafate/Pepcid AC/Pepto Bismul combo she's been on
(as well as Prednisolone).

Doc was very thorough - did a BG (it was 70, same as 1 month ago) and
exam and came to the consensus that she's most likely got an ulcer and
helicobactor problem that's causing grinding and lack of appetite (and
noticed from her chart that this is on-going).

Well, vet reassured me that once we attack the main problem - the
ulcer(s) - the lack of appetite problem will diminish and teeth grinding
will stop as it did when this same thing happened back in Dec. and the
diagnosis: Vet felt that carafate wasn't working with Phoebe so
recommended that I stop the carafate and Pepto and do a Pepcid AC/Amoxi
combo instead.  Well from everything I've now heard and read, the BEST
treatment is Biaxin/Amoxi for the uclers & helicobactor but I asked
about Biaxin while I was there and doc was felt confident that what was
recommended would work just fine.

HERE'S MY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE CARAFATE / BIAXIN / AMOXI COMBO -

#1 - If instructions on carafate bottle say "do not give within 1 hr. of
other medications" how can the amoxicillan be part of the "mixture" for
treatment?  It's just not possible for me to to give the carafate, wait
10 min. then hand feed Phoebe, and THEN wait and hour to give Amoxi
and.or Biaxin.  Maybe I can at night but not in the morning, before I
go to work.  How does everyone else out there do it?  Do you NOT do the
carafate and just administer the Biaxin/Amoxi?  However, neither of
those provides the 'coating' that carafate does, correct?

#2 - If Amoxil and Biaxin are both antibiotics of the same penicillan
family, why then would you need both for treatment?  Do they not work
without each other or are they just more effective TOGETHER?  I'm
thinking that maybe the vet didn't prescribe the Biaxin for this reason?

So I guess it would help for me to have better clarification before I go
back to the vet and explain why I'm AGAIN asking for Biaxin.  Now this
will totally look like I'm questioning the decision even though I already
questioned it during the visit and was reassured.  But, of course, my
furkids' health is more important that what the doc is going to think.
I'm concerned, however, that my questioning will come off as though I'm
not going to feel confident about the vet's decisions until I hear what
I WANT to hear and that can't be right.

I'm curious to know how others have handled this type of situation
without coming off as a 'know-it-all' to your furkids' doctor(s)???
Of course medical professionals are by no means perfect but chances
are they DO know more than I when it comes to medical treatment.

THANKS in advance!

Jennifer and the 3 Amigos