Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 10:09:40 -0700
>Kim,
>
>You can not prevent cellulitis with a tetanus shot (or am I misreading
>this?). I have had cellulitus and it is extremely painful and I was
>sick and in the hospital for 5 days. The doctors tried to blame my
>ferrets, then my new kitty cat but after some research we felt it was
>probably transmitted by a spider or insect bite. It is actually much
>more common than people think.

That's exactly what happened to me! My (ex) friend who is a nurse
told me to get my butt in to the ER because of the symptoms I was
experiencing...ALOT of pain and ALOT of swelling and that was the dx
the ER doctor gave me. AND gave me a tetanus shot, he claimed , to
prevent it if I got bit again....looks like I was given some seriously
wrong information. They did treat me with pain meds and antibiotics
also.

>I'd also like to say that those folks that went to the Buckeye Bash
>and stayed at Motel 6 were not told about any insecticides being used
>in the hotel rooms. This was discovered AFTER the ferrets began getting
>sick.

I hate to have to ask this because it seems like common sense to me and
my intention is absolutely not to insult anyone regarding precautions
but did they ask before they checked in? I always ask no matter where
I take my ferrets ,...especially letting them play outside in someone
else's yard. You don't know what people treat their lawns with. So the
motel fessed up AFTER they knew the ferrets were sick? I certainly hope
this place is going to be held accountable. I know money and lawsuits
can't bring back your babies but it certainly will make them think
before making such a horrid mistake again.

>AFA shows are probably the safest places to take your ferrets out
>in public.

Whole heartedly agree!!!

>Shot records are checked, negative ADV tests are required and all
>judges and stewards MUST parvocide before and after handling each
>and every ferret. There is no mixing of any ferrets where anything
>can be passed around or caught. No tube races, nothing like that.
>Shows are a great way to meet other ferret lovers and to see some
>really beautiful ferrets and every single ferret entered in a
>specialty class comes home with a ribbon.

I also agree. As stated before. I love AFA shows. MFRAN has top notch
shows also. I am aware that every one comes home with a ribbon and alot
of people are in it for fun and fellowship. I guess my views on showing
are tainted by a few bad seeds (two of these seeds were not at an AFA
show btw) and the petty cat fighting I have witnessed over who's ferret
should have won this or that. I just can't beleive adults can act this
way!! I've also sat and watched as some of these "bad seed breeders"
enter a ton of their ferrets, pretty much guaranteeing high placement
while some young kids sat there with their little Marshall Farms
furkids that didn't have a chance at placing even close to the top
10....It saddened me and tainted me on the whole show business. AGAIN,
I will state that I am so excited to see that something is finally
being done to test for titers to prevent over vaccinating our kids, so
that we can keep showing fun AND safe. And again, in closing ( I hope)
because there are certainly more important topics at the moment.

Fairy Buttercup: "Can I wear the belly dancer costume again for Halloween?"

Kim: " No baby doll, you have all your fur back this year."

Warm Regards,
Kim
Who runs an equal opportunity shelter where all ferrets are first place.

Kimberly Fox
Director/Rescue Mom
Somethin Up My Sleeve Ferret Rescue
http://companiontalk.terrabox.com/SUMS-Rescue.html
Help The Helpless. SUPPORT PRIVATE RESCUE
Pay Pal accepted for donations at this email address.