From:
"Meg Carpenter, Chaotic Ferrets" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Nov 1995 19:50:33 -0500
Whoops!  Forgot to mention a couple of things on previous diet post.  I
should mention that nearly all of my ferrets have strong, well muscled and
taut bodies.  I attribute this in part to diet and in part to the fact that
most are out on 24 hr.  basis.  Only my whole hobs are rotated out for a
minimum of 6-8 hours daily.  Even ferrets who appear fairly lean, are a
surprise when lifted because they are heavy -- muscle tissue weighs more
than fat.  Of course, now that most of my crew are "weighting up" for
winter, you can feel a bit of adipose - but not out of proportion.  Most of
my ferrets are coming into winter coat.  They do this as soon as the last
fall show is over and will all blow their coats before late winter, early
spring shows.  They love to do this.  They also love to change color on me -
a topic well covered by previous posts.  I, too, find that certain colors
lighten as the ferret gets older.  The most dramatic color change I have had
was when a dark sable blaze changed coat a couple of years ago and decided
he wanted to be a mutt BEW with ring tail and a few random dark spots.  I
still have not forgiven him.

For Caroline - I hope right referral - if your vet and you are concerned
that your ferret is too fat, don't change compostion of food - light diet
dry cat food does not meet nutritional requirements.  Try exercise.  Play
chase and tag games with your fuzzy.  Harness and leash for long walks or
brief runs outside.  Give your baby more outside the cage time, and if you
do this already, don't let her be a "slug-a-bed".  Up and exercise.  .