From:
Marc Lavergne & Lorraine Tremblay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 17:56:42 -0400
Sue Savage asked for suggestions of games to play with Teriyaki, a ferret
with cataracts.

Since normal ferrets do not see that well to start with, I would play
almost any games with Teriyaki but in an area as opened and as uncluttered
as possible where she cannot hurt herself by running into furniture.  You
could put more emphasis on interactive games using odors, movements and
noise.  All ferrets love digging!

Bob Church posted an excellent post listting several games including one
where ferrets had to track a smell in the home to get a reward.  I think
one of the scent he used was liquid smoke, but you could also use vanilla
or diluted essential oils.

A favourite of Pepe La Pew: ferret enters a leg of a pant (or arm of
sweatshirt) and I shake my hand at he end of that leg or elsewhere or touch
her and she has to chase my hand.  She sometimes get so excited that her
bites become rough.  Liked by other ferrets: ferret enters a cardboard box
with several holes and you shake a crumpled noisy plastic bag or your hand
(that the ferret tries to grab) in one of the holes.

There are plenty of noisy toys other than the squeaky toy you use to call
her.  For example, I attached together several cheap beads necklaces and
tease the ferret that grab it in its paws or mouth.  You could have the
ferret chase one of those toys for toddlers that make noise when you pull
them.  May be your ferret would be attracted to the sound of whistles,
rattle, small bells or drums.

Lorraine, who does not play enough with our 8 ferrets:
Boum Boum, Mukluk, Pepe La Pew, Piccolo, Presto, Qannik, Sanka & Snoreau.