From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 10:42:41 -0400
Eleanor writes
>I have searched the archives and am trying to find a list from best to
>worst ferret foods.  Does anyone have a list of the very best to
>worst.

The problem is there is not enough research and no consensus on what
is best for our ferrets.  Even if you knew what was best, lists of
ingredients can be misleading and really don't directly give the needed
info.

Becky asks
>my kids love science diet light for cats.  i give it to them as a
>treat... does anyone see any problems with that as a treat?

Check the ingredients.  If it uses primarily meat based protein, it
should be ok (but see above!)  Their cat or kitten formulas would
probably be better though, higher in protein and fat.

Carol asks
>With all the discussion about The Ferret Store carrying these bad
>items what about Petco?

A corporate veterinarian from Petco has asked for input from the ferret
community.  He is "working toward have these items removed and replaced
with more ferret appropriate treats" and trying to educate the company
on the need to do this.  Changes in large corporations such as Petco and
PETsMART will take time, but it is good to know we have advocates within
the companies working on this issue.

Linda Iroff
International Ferret Congress
http://www.ferretcongress.org