Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 2010 02:16:07 -0500
Mike,

I've found that different ferrets prefer to eat soup or baby food in
different ways, especially when they're sick. These are the different
ways that have worked for me.

1. Hold the ferret in the left arm and hold the dish up to the ferret
with the right hand.
2. Putting some of the soup mixture on my finger and letting the ferret
lick it off and continuing to do this. At some point, I try to start
lowering the finger toward the bowl to try and get the ferret to eat
out of the bowl.
3. Feed the soup via a baby spoon. I've had three different ferrets
that wouldn't eat soup any other way when they were sick.
4. Sit the ferret in the lap and hold the dish of soup of to the
ferret, moving the dish to be in front of the ferret wherever it tries
to move.
5. Add something that the ferret likes to the soup, like Ferretone,
Nutrical, etc.
6. Add heavy whipping cream to the soup. This often entices them to
eat.
7. Try a different soup mixture. If the ferret has a favorite kibble,
grind it up, add water and add other ingredients for the soup mixture.
8. Force feed a little soup through the side of the mouth and then try
to feed the soup mixture. Sometimes, all it takes is for them to get
the taste in their mouth to realize this is not a bad thing.

Debbie