From:
"Bill Gruber, FML moderator" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 00:44:16 EST
I've thought about this quite a bit.  Well, it's not all my doing, I've
had help from some long term FML subscribers.  But I really do think I
now know how we can help Mary and Eric and Modern Ferret.  And it gets
even better -- it's a solution so simple that it checks itself.

Let's back up a bit.  As we know, there has been a flurry of posts about
Modern Ferret (MF).  It all started because someone innocently questioned
if MF was still around since there has been no communication from the
magazine lately.

In my opinion, most of the responses to the question were quite civil and
I'm proud of this.  Only a few were "unpostable" and even those were very
borderline.  Some people have questioned the motives behind some posts
and I'm listening, but I think it may no longer be relevant.

The main difficulty I'm seeing is an unusual conflict: MOST of us seem
to love Mary and Eric but SOME of us question their business decisions.
This conflict is difficult because many of us seem to have difficulty
separating the magazine business from the wonderful couple running it.

I'm not here to judge their business decisions.  People have legitimate
concerns and they have every right to post these concerns.  People also
have every right to defend MF and many of you have done this.  (I do,
however, personally vouch for Mary and Eric -- their intentions are the
best in my observation.)

It's gone full circle now.  Only one post today contained any new
information and that was from someone who was so upset she was
considering unsubscribing.

The fact is that Mary and Eric are battling tremendous problems.  Some of
you may accept that and patiently wait.  Some of you want to help.  Some
of you want to cancel your subscriptions.  Do what feels right in your
heart.  In a way, they are all the correct responses.  But your points
have all been made.

So how can we best help Mary and Eric?  Simple.  Let THEM ask for help IF
they want it.  Their lives are very full right now.  They are battling
horrendous health problems and are already going giving out 100%.  Trying
to start an organized collection effort, no matter how well intentioned,
might just be more than they can handle right now.  We don't know -- but
they do.

Please, now that all the opinions have been offered, let's drop it.  All
the posts received today about this subject are being held.  If you feel
you need to make a point that hasn't been made please let me know and I'll
reread your post.

Otherwise, please let Mary and Eric decide what is best for them.  Even
if we disagree, even if they are wrong, it's THEIR decision to make, not
ours.  They have done so much for the ferret community already -- let's
work for peace.  Let's understand their needs and let them work it out.
If they need our help, we are here.  I think they are too overwhelmed to
deal with it right now.  But they need to heal themselves first, and then
need to heal the magazine.  By bombarding them with "help", we are not
helping.

By the way, Mary has unsubscribed from the FML.  With all that is going on
in their lives, it's probably too much for her to deal with.  This may be
for the best, or may not be, but it is her decision to make, not ours.

Thank you all for your support and comments.  We're an amazing bunch.

Bill