Date:
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 06:11:26 -0400
I have noticed a thread concerning eye injuries.  I have worked as an
Ophthalmic Technician for about four years now and I would like to give
you all a little hope.

Our eyes (and ferret eyes I am assuming) heal quicker than any other part
of our body, especially corneal abrasions.  I have seen horrible injuries
that heal practically overnight.  The most practical thing to do for MOST
injuries is to leave them alone and let the eye's natural defenses do their
thing.  I wouldn't recommend patching an injured eye because a patch just
makes a nice warm, dark environment for bacteria to thrive.  Unless of
course your ferret tends to scratch at the eye, then you may want to patch
it for awhile to keep the little buger out of it.  This is all going to
depend on the severity of the injury, too.

Problems start when infection is allowed to set in.  If your vet recommends
any antibiotic ointments, I encourage you to use them per your vets
instructions.  Germs, viruses and the like are nasty nasty things.

OK, here's for the disclaimer.  I AM NOT A VET.  I only have experience
with human eyes.  If you notice something out of the ordinary concerning
your ferret's eyes, see your vet.  PLEASE.

Give all your little ferret buddies some love from me,

Britta (human)

Yoshi, Necktie, Quincey, and Lit Wan (stinky little varmits)