From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Nov 2009 12:54:10 -0500
>My vet has been great in listening to my "reports" on Doc Wagner's
>progress and success with his study. He ordered 10 implants from
>Peptech and received them in 10 days which included a three day lay
>over in San Francisco. The price I was charged here in Rochester, NY
>was just shy of $80.00. I was charged for an injection fee, the
>implant and 1/10 of the shipping fee.

and

>If this implant is available specifically for ferrets where the heck
>has it been and why has no other vet found out about it?

Deslorelin use has been extensively studied first thanks to Dr. Nico
Schoemaker of the Netherlands, and of course, Dr. Bob Wagner's
studies, and also studies in Hungary (with apologies because the
lead researcher's name escapes me. Ah! Here is the most recent study
by that group:

>Deslorelin treatment of hyperoestrogenism in neutered ferrets
>(Mustela putorius furo): a case report
>A. Prohaczik, M. Kulcsar, Gy. Huszenicza
>Faculty of Veterinary Science, Szent Istvan University, Budapest,
>Hungary
>
>Veterinarni Medicina, 54, 2009 (2):89-95

It still is not as easily available as it would be if make and
distributed in the U.S., but can be much more easily imported now.

The hold up turned out to be that two branches of the FDA had taken
different stances but since they did not know each other's stance
nothing was happening.

The portion involved with importation thought that the implant was
not allowed because even though deslorelin had been approved for use
in horses the implant technology was new and they thought that the
implant technology had to be approved first.

Meanwhile, the veterinary branch figured that all was well since
deslorelin did have that prior approval and they did not think that
the implant technology involved posed any problem so had just figured
the drug was okay to import.

The trick -- which happened almost accidently as part of a discussion
with the importation section of the FDA that had been presented with
copies of studies then asked some questions it needed to ask the
veterinary branch about (and the only reason I know about is because
I had a ring-side seat (and if I recall right I wound up coping Bill
Gruber at the time that there may be good news down the line)) -- was
winding up getting the two branches talking. When that happened there
first was an okay to bring in the drug with special approvals, then for
a little while those approvals got stricter. Recently, it appears that
the final decision may be that the implantation technology is fine and
people are reporting that importing this drug has become far easier.

The implants can be imported from Australia or from Europe where it is
licensed for manufacture by a contract pharmaceutical manufacturer who
in turn is licensed by Peptech to produce and distribute in Europe.
Hopefully, a similar situation will begin here in the U.S. at some
point, as well as in Asia where quite a few people also have pet
ferrets, but I have heard no news on that score.

The importation info is in the very easily used FHL Archives and so is
the licensing info for Europe, ditto when and how well (or not) it has
been working for certain ferrets. The importation has gotten easier so
just get in touch with Peptech or the European equivalent to start and
ask what they currently find is required. I do not know if the European
licensed pharmaceutical has sent any to the U.S. but Peptech certainly
has done a number.

A few PAST post results to get people started:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL10185
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL9969

Usually deslorelin implants (NOT the horse version) last 8 months to
18 months in ferrets, but longer has been encountered according to
some on the FHL.

Yes, as with related drugs like Lupron this drug does not work with
all types and degrees of adrenal disease, with the very serious cases
not always being responsive.

Expiration date seems to truly matter according to two reports in the
very easily searched FHL Archives.

This reminds me that I have to find out when our Hilbert is due for
his next Lupron implant. This may be useful drug for him.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html