From:
Ray Sexton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 07:38:37 -0400
Hi Everybody!
Someone wrote in wanting to know what Sub Q's were.  This is something I'm
finding out alot about with our Shelby.  Sub Q's are subcutaneous injections
of electrolytes administered by injection just beneath the skin to keep the
ferret from becoming more dehydrated.  Shelby has been having to receive
them 3 times a day since last Tuesday because she keeps getting dehydrated.
She is drinking on her own, but not enough.  She really won't eat, so we've
been force feeding her with AD (some kind of high calorie vet baby food".
We're awaiting more blood work on her today.  I keep waiting for a miracle.
We go and visit often.  It's so frustating to know what to do.  We trust our
vet explicitly, but are desparate for Shelby to show us a good sign.  Shelby
hasn't vomited for a couple of days, so I guess that should be a good sign.
It's just she looks so weak and has gotten so thin.  It's making me nuts!
Well anyway I hoped I answered the question accurately enough.  That's how
it was explained to me.  Bye!

Ray
PS I was glad to see the article on swollen genitals.  Thanks for the e-mail
Shari

Also my sympathies to all those that have lost their little ferret children.
They leave such a hole in your heart that seems like it will never go away
no matter how many ferrets you own.  Our ferret children bring us sunshine.
laughter, and tears!