From:
"Sonam D." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 18:29:33 -0500
>Date:    Fri, 29 Jan 1999 10:52:10 -0600
>From:    Shawn and Nicole Burch <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Tea tree shampoo?
>
>June writes:
>>Wouldn't an aloe/oatmeal based shampoo be more effective?  Obviously it
>>works for Tracilyns ferrets, I would be willing to try it, but would like
>>the opinion of some fmlers.

Hi all,

I read the two above posts with interest, since I'm a Licensed
Cosmetologist (Hairstylist-Colorist-Makeup), and know not only the
chemistry of shampoos, but have (literally) washed hundreds (maybe
thousands - I don't count) of heads with countless brands of shampoo.

My short answer to those interested, is NEVER, NEVER us either "human"
shampoos or soaps, nor cat, dog or other pet shampoos on your Ferret.  In
simple terms both "human" and other pet shampoos are compounded to quickly,
but gently, (the degree of gentleness depending on the price point of the
shampoo) strip away not only styling products and dirt, dander and so on
but Sebum, the naturally occurring oil that lubricates the hair and scalp.
This (in short) is so because that is what the market (ie "human" shampoo
market, that is, and to some extent, the dog and cat community) calls for.
However, Ferrets require their oil on their skin and fur not only to
prevent dryness and flaking, but because that's how nature intended their
fur to be cared for.  Using human or other pet shampoos will strip away
this oil that they require, dry their skin, often cause itching and
flaking, and causing their oil glands to go into overtime to produce even
more oil, thus starting a nasty repeat cycle.  My advice is to use any
well-known brand of shampoo *ESPECIALLY COMPOUNDED FOR FERRETS*, and to try
to stretch baths to every eight weeks or so.  I find that my guys really
don't need a bath more often.

The long answer to your question is that "human" shampoos have as their
primary ingredient a base surfactant (a surfactant is also called a
detergent) which are chemically synthesized organic compounds which create
wetting, dispersing, emulsifying, solubilizing and washing agents that
attach themselves to oil, and the debris that attaches itself to oil, and
allow it to be washed away with the rinse water.  There are a number of
such surfactants/detergents, and the one found at the lower end of the
price scale are anionic surfactants which are the harshest of all, but
produce the most foam, making anionic the most commonly used surfactant,
because the market believes that only a lot of foam produces clean hair or
fur (not true).  Even though I use a shampoo (on myself and my clients)
that has no anionic surfactants (and it is quite expensive), it is still
unsuitable for Ferrets, since its intended purpose is different; and too,
there are many other types and kinds of additives such as: surfactants
(cationic, nonionic and so forth), perfumes and conditioners - not to
mention other additives, like oatmeal, beer, aloe, tea-tree oil and on and
on (the "beauty" industry IS big business, after all), they still are
really not suitable for an animal such as a Ferret, and as I said before,
may do more harm than good - which is why I use a good Ferret shampoo, even
though I get the $25 a bottle (human) shampoo wholesale.

Well, I hope I added some information without being too boring, but I
thought that my opinion may be of some value!

Peace,

Sonam & Dee and the fuzzies: Stella, Dupree, Lola, Jasmine & Tika (who
crossed the Rainbow Bridge)