From:
Brad Laraway <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 94 12:21:18 EDT

> From: Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>
> I am trying to find a average lifespan for ferrets.  I am a recent ferret
> owner.  And after waiting 11 years to get a ferret and after four months

        The average life span is between 5-8 years.  Although some have
lived as long as 11-12+ years.  Our shelter just had to put down a very
old ferret.  She was at least 11 years old as far as we could tell.
She was owned buy one person for 6 years and by another for four years.
She was not a kit when she was found by the first owner, and lived at the
shelter for almost a year.  She was full of life right up to the end.  We
named her Granny, and we will miss her.

> Does anyone else out there house their ferret(s) outside?

        I think almost all of us keep them indoors.   You should
put your ferret on heartworm prevention if you plan to keep taz
outside.  Heartworm is almost always fatal in ferrets(98.9%), and there
are only a few doctors that I know of who have ever cured heartworm in
a ferret.

        One thing I'm not sure of is how low a temperature a ferret can
handle.  Although the high end of the scale is around 80-85.  Anything
higher can cause heat stroke and even death.  One other thing, GET rid
of the saw dust or anyother wood chips, ect.  Wooden bedding products
can cause respiratory problems and shouldn't be used.

        As far as diet.  Use a high quality kitten food or ferret chow.
When your ferret gets older 3-4 years old change over to a high quality
cat food.   Make sure the protien is animal based not vegetable based.
Poultry based foods seem to be the better product.

        Good luck.

        Brad, Sebastian, Mako, and Bambie.

[People should really be directed to the Ferret FAQ by email.  I can't
tell you how many times I've seen this question answered...]