From:
Sheila Crompton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 12:25:57 +0100
>Alicia wrote:-
>As far as English Ferrets-- in England the ferrets are not actually kept
>the same as indoor pets--most often they are outside animals who on occasion
>share the humans abode-- this might make a difference with going to "a
>different" location-- all conjecture-- or supposition I admit-- Sheila any
>comments??

Ferrets suffering from "shelter shock" is a new one on me, I'd never heard
of it before!

The ferret is becoming more of a house pet now in England.  I know quite a
number of people who have them indoors all the time.

I've got 48 ferrets all living indoors - they are in cages but they all have
regular play times, it would be murder having them all out playing at once,
there'd be more fights than playing because they don't all get on with each
other!

Most of the ferrets I have are strays, only 5 from previous keepers as
unwanted pets, none of them had any problems adjusting to moving home.
When the strays first come in, they are probably a bit traumatised from
being out in the great outside.  They get a quick check over for anything
obviously wrong.  Then they are put into a cage with, food, water and lots
shredded paper bedding.  After something to eat and drink you can virtually
see them sort of sigh with relief and then snuggle down for a kip.  They
might be quiet for a few days but I've always put that down to the fact
that they've probably had to fend for themselves and they are just catching
up on eating and sleeping!

When I've re-homed ferrets I've never heard of them having any problems
settling down.

The most recent rescue, a polecat coloured ferret, had been rather badly
neglected by his previous keeper (I would love to meet the person
concerned!).  I was absolutely horrified when I could feel all the poley's
bones he'd been half starved, his claws were so long they had been twisted
out of shape and he was walking on his "heels".  I trimmed his claws, taking
about an inch off each one.  When I put him down on the floor his claws were
sticking up but at least he could walk better.  He wandered around for about
half-an-hour and then I heard him chooking quietly.  It normally takes a
couple of days before they feel happy enough to chook.  When I took him to
the vet Tony was horrified at the condition he was in.  No muscle on his
legs and rear quarters.  Suffering from malnutrition and he's got an old
injury to his left eye that will need careful watching.  Tony and I think
that the poley had been kept in a small cage with no exercise for months,
hence the long claws, he'd been fed entirely the wrong diet.  Obviously a
case of a keeper getting tired of the ferret.  Then one day the keeper
decided to release the ferret into "the wild" where he was picked up by two
men who brought him to me.  Anyway, he's doing all right now, putting on
some flesh and muscle, he's still walking on his heels but hopefully he'll
walk normally - he'll soon be in good enough shape for neutering and then I
can, hopefully find a group to integrate him into.

I've got another ferret coming in this afternoon - it'll probably stay here
for a week and then be re-homed.  I've got a list of folk who want ferrets.
Not every ferret that comes here is a candidate for re-homing probably
because I don't want to part with them :-)  The poley wont be moving on, he
could have a problem with his kidneys due to being starved.

BTW the poley hasn't got a name yet - anyone got any ideas?

I do have a pair of ferrets that are boarded with me when their keeper goes
on holiday.  Baby the jill, settles down straight away but Smelly takes a
few days before he starts to play, he's just gets settled in when he has to
go home!

I updated my web pages recently - I've added photos of quite a number of the
gang.

The NFWS has finally got around to producing its own Ferret Colouring Book
(drawings done by Sadie Roberts, some of her cartoons are one the NFWS web
pages) along with a magazine "Mustelid Meanderings" - the magazine isn't a
'flashy' publication, (photocopied) but it contains articles from our
newsletters.  Anyone wanting more details please contact me.  (BIG - Hope
this isn't classed as advertising they are for ferret welfare)

Sheila
Bolton Ferret Welfare & National Ferret Welfare Society Newsletter Editor
http://www.btinternet.com/~sheila/ferrets.htm (Last Update 18 April 1998)
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge: Jill & Deanna Troi