From:
Lara Tyminski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 May 1999 11:21:25 -0500
I just want to say I'm getting sick of the personal "discussions" that are
taking place on the FML.  If someone offends someone else publicly, yes, do
a public rebuttal then take the argument of the List.  Instead of giving
minute details about things you've found out about the other's sources take
a breather and do a short summary.  Get over it!

Is Ed on drugs or what?

With regards, briefly to animal shelters vs..  ferret shelters.  If you
want to support a Humane Society, or SPCA shelter, give directly to that
shelter, rather than the parent organization whose funds don't necessarily
go there.

Dont' all animals deserve our compassion and respect?

I have supported and volunteered at my local HS for 4 years now.  They
seldom get ferrets and don't know that much about them, but they do know
they can call me 24 hr..  a day with ferret questions.  When I hear of a
ferret in the shelter I take it upon myself to go in in my capacity as a
volunteer and assess the ferret, groom it and spend time playing with them.
I provided the animal health dept..  with a disc full of medical info from
the web.  I also gave them the "All About Ferrets" information from the
South Florida Ferret Club and Rescue, used with the permission of Mike
Janke.I also take pictures for my own collection of shelter and rescue
animals I've had the honor of knowing.

Yes, the shelter is often in receipt of sick animals, and they do get the
medical care they require.  The London Humane Soc.  is a no-kill shelter.
They exist on donations alone.  They don't always do things the way I like,
but hey, it's not my shelter.  I do my part by being involved and now have
the vol.  position of Foster Home Co-ordinator.  I'm involved again this
year in the Dog Walk A Thon, which I usually take a ferret to.

Not all shelters are the same but you can't make a difference by just
complaining.  Do something.

I also do fostering, rescue on a very small scale,and support a nearby
ferret shelter.  If the ferret shelter wasn't 2 hr.. away I'd be alot more
involved there.

Whew!

Lara