From:
Heather Gilbertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2008 10:27:33 -0700
I apologize if I rubbed anyone the wrong way, that was certainly not my
intention. I have seen many people who really believe that feeding raw
to animals "makes them wild". I inquired from people who know a lot
more than me, (my vet, animal behaviorist) that they simply value the
raw food more than the kibble.

I agree that aggression should not be tolerated, & many animals can
peacefully get along, without problems. However, I am very cautious
about ANY animal that would go after another animal because of instinct
or what they are bred for (hunting). I have heard of a couple stories
where a beloved pet is killed, by another one that had shown no
killed the ferret, ferrets that killed a parrot, or an iguana. Mixing
species that do not normally mix in the wild can sometimes come at a
price. Most people are lucky to not have to experience that, some are
not so lucky. Any animal with a high prey drive can pose a problem. One
of my ferrets has a high prey drive & if any rodent happen to wander
in our house, I would bet money she would not hesitate to kill it.

I would assume, based on reading these posts, that the majority here
supervise their mixed species while at play (as they should), but there
are those that do not, & are surprised, if the day comes that there
is an incident. I do not tolerate aggression in any of my dogs, & I
believe that none of them would hurt my wees, but with the number of
wees that I have & three dogs, I feel safer keeping the wees in their
own room, where they wreak havoc on a daily basis.I enjoy reading my
daily dose of FML, & I have learned from others, laughed at weasel
antics, & cried when someone loses a beloved friend. I also like how
the ferret community comes together to help one another.

On a different note ("& such")...I have heard of people using ferret
poop to keep rodents away. I even saw an add in Craigslist of someone
requesting other people's ferret poop for such a purpose. I also
recently saw a small container of ferret poop at a pet store, for this.
With multiple ferrets, I should be set on rodent prevention. (Cool,
they are earning their keep...) =)

Heather