From:
Michelle Henry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 08:45:26 -0700
Well, the biggest difference is that deaf humans can choose on their own
to breed.  Pet/Breeder ferrets don't really have that choice.  So, it's up
to the person doing the choosing to make the best choice for the ferrets.
That means choosing how many times a ferret should be bred, when it should
be retired, who to breed it to and should you breed a ferret with a
genetic defect?

When you are selling a ferret you are responsible to provide the best
product for your customer.  Well, love them or not a deaf ferret does have
a genetic defect.  That means your product is flawed.  Look folks, there
is a deaf girl in my house right now that I'm holding and seriously
thinking about keeping.  She's so sweet!  It doesn't mean that she isn't
flawed though.  Sure, deaf ferrets can do everything that a normal ferret
can except hear.  It's still a flaw.

There is also the point that a responsible breeder picks the healthiest
and best animals to breed for the betterment of the species.  A deaf
ferret doesn't fit these guidelines.  However, like the 101 Dalmatian
craze, you sometimes sacrifice quality for demand.  Hmmm... How many
shelters are on the shelter list?  How many people post that they need to
rehome their ferrets?  These ferrets could easily fill this demand, so I
guess that argument doesn't excuse breeding deaf ferrets either.

It comes down to one thing.  Deaf ferrets are pretty.  They are blazes,
pandas and DEWS.  They are the colors that are in demand.  We need to stop
buying these colors from retailers and breeders.  If you want a blaze,
call the local shelter and rescue one that's been through the ringer
already.  Tell pet store employees about the potential problems because
many times they have no idea.  If you see someone looking at a panda tell
them what could be wrong.  They might still buy it, but they'll take it
home better informed.

Ok, I've been long winded enough and you got my 2 cents.

Michelle