From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:59:55 -0500
Right now we are using other solutions but we used to make ones with maze
entry and a section of cloth that curtained the opening was held in place
by the lid as in this ascii diagram which will hopefully work:

[Moderator's note: The ASCII diagram didn't work out, so Sukie substituted
this verbal description.  BIG]:

Here is a description: the door leads to a sharp turn to the side, then
at the end of that "hall" there is a sharp turn to the opposite side
and another hall, and the ferret has to go through this light cutting
"maze" to reach the nest box.

There may have been a third section to the hallway; I can't recall.
Bedding inside, of course... That has to be something between 15 to 20
years ago -- probably some version of this is in an old FML but it may
be one that can't be searched yet, but would have to be gone through by
number.  But, that doesn't matter and here is why:

Nest boxes are a very, very old thing you!  A lot older than when we had
those boxes of ours, many times older.  They have been used for CENTURIES
in several parts of Europe and I have heard from two Brits who were
advised by old timers to be sure to have dark nest boxes fro their
ferrets or their ferrets would get sick.  So there Steve and I were only
15 to 20 years ago thinking that that we'd come up with something new
but it was only a variation on a very, very old theme.  LOL!  Egg on our
faces back then!

These days we use a lot of dark bedding, carry cages with hammocks in
them and dark covers hanging over them so the ferrets can get in any
thing, and covered furniture with dark bedding, as well as a nighttime
cover for the big cage.  Those also all function well.

I think that if we have more room at some point we might make one with
a tunnel leading to it, though, just because it would be great fun for
the ferrets.