From:
Cerise Welter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 1997 17:28:22 -0400
I simply love posting such a great subject, but my vet is very new to the
ferret business.  I have a rescue (we've had for 1 month), and her fecal
matter seems almost foamy.  She was eating cheap cat food, and is now eating
IAM kitten chow.  My ferrets dislike ferret food, so they eat the kitten
chow.  Her former owners didn't give her much attention and she was all
alone for 2 1/2 years.  She is now getting a great deal of attention and
exercise.  How long should she take to adjust to the new food?  She eats
very well and gets lots of fresh water.  I put my oldest male sable in with
her in her cage and they seem to get along well.  The vet said her poop was
normal, no excess blood or evidence of ulcers.  Should I be concerned?  Her
fur is so lovely while it was nasty when we got her.  Her nails are no
longer brittle and she seems in good health.  She does tire faster than the
other ferrets, but I attribute that to the fact that she had been cage-bound
for years.  Any thoughts?

Thanks for the responses.

Cerise Welter
The Welter Ferret Shelter