Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2010 03:18:54 -0400
I have only been able to follow this discussion sporadically (in the
past wk, I've had my car virtually demolished, followed the next day
by my Dad's death - only 3 mos after my Mom's death). While I can't
comment on this particular situation, w/out having followed it closely,
I would like to offer some advice to anyone who gets involved in a
situation like this one in the future.

Several yrs ago, I had some major issues w/ the Pet Supplies Plus
store in Findlay, Ohio. They were keeping their ferrets in horrific
conditions - filthy litterboxes, swarms of flies in the ferret
enclosure (large open-topped glass tank), & in one situation, no toys
or anything for stimulation, causing one ferret to actually start
*eating* the plastic litterbox. After explaining the probable outcome
of this behavior (=intestinal blockage, & a horrible, painful death), &
not getting any useful response out of the store manager, I called
corporate. I was promptly BANNED from coming into the store from that
point forward. Which did nothing to help the ferret in question, or
the general conditions the ferrets were being kept in. I did not go
into that store again for several yrs, only recently going back in
as I was informed that they were under new management.

Take pictures of the ferrets you feel are being treated incorrectly.
Politely inform the store employees of the ramifications of their
treatment. Then, instead of going immediately to corporate, contact
the local humane soc/animal control/county animal shelter, a local
veterinarian, ANYONE local you can think of who is in a position of
authority. Corporate often times do not care about the animals (they
can't see those animals from their distant offices, so it's not
"personal" to them), but only about their financial bottom line.
Animals are nothing more than merchandise, they make a profit on
their sale, & one or 2 sick/mistreated animals are, in their view,
disposable.

If a vet, humane soc, etc, comes in, sees the conditions & treatment of
the animals, they will have MUCH more impact on changing the situation
locally, than a corporate entity that is possibly some distance away, &
doesn't care about one or 2 animals. If a vet or humane soc files a
report against that store, corporate is going to sit up & take notice
much more seriously than someone off the street, no matter how
knowledgeable that person is about that particular animal.

I wish I'd done that in the situation I saw at the Pet Supplies Plus
in Findlay, OH. I have since learned my lesson.

I hope the ferret in question at the Petland is indeed getting the
proper vet care, & that the poor baby does indeed come home w/ the
person trying to help it. That would be the best situation for the
ferret. But, you never know how your complaint is going to fall on
the ears of someone who's only interest is in making money. Authority
speaks louder, esp if they can get the store in trouble officially by
using their considerable clout to do so. But it *is* up to us, as the
ones who love these animals, to get the info to the proper authorities.

Just my 2 cents, for anyone's future reference.

Lin

email me at:  kay tee en eye el at double-u owe aich dot ar ar dot see
owe em