From:
Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 12:25:19 -0400
Condolences to all sick, missing, and angeled Ricocheting War-Dancers...

You said:
>It's pretty darn unlikely that a ferret would hate a human being (or at
>least not without reason).  When your 8-week old kit doesn't want to be
>held and cuddled, it doesn't mean the ferret hates you, it means it's a
>normal baby ferret!

Absolutely correct!  I've had several ferrets that I've rescued that
started out appearing to be a true definition of a WILD ANIMAL.  They
nipped (or shredded the hand that tried to feed them!), ran away,
scratched, screamed when approached, etc.  One of these ferrets (Hershey)
was found on the streets of Philadelphia.  Talk about a paranoid ferret!
He didn't even trust his own reflection in the mirror!  Now, he actually
comes up on my lap and tolerates petting and huggling, just to get a snack!
When I collect him up to put him back in his cage before I go to bed, he
waits for me, instead of running.  Another ferret (Chewy) was previously
rescued from his original owner, who purchased him as a tiny kit
(originally from Path Valley Farms).  His new owner wanted very much for
him to be a pet for his kids, but he kept biting everyone (drawing blood
constantly), as well as never using a litter box (he slept in his litter
box!) and digging at the carpet.  You couldn't even put your hand in his
cage while he was in there, because he would chew it off!  The first time
I met him, he literally tore my hand up, ripping huge strips of skin off
and causing a bloody mess.  It was so bad, that on the way home, I had to
stop at a drug store and get bandages and antiseptic to clean myself up!

However, in Chewy's case, I taught him (in the space of about 4 days) that
hands are NOT bad things.  They can also contain ferret snacks and soft
pets and cuddles.  Now, he NEVER bites.  Period.  I reach in his cage and
pet him all the time.  When he's out roaming the house with Bump and Run,
they tussle and wrestle, but no screaming or biting happens.  Its all play
and fun! :)

In Hershey's case, I think it was probably less than a year old when I had
gotten him, but there is no way to tell.  In Chewy's case, he was about 10
to 12 weeks old when I rescued him.

Now, with Fuzzer (my Alpha male), I have a *different* story.  I got him
from the same pet store that Chewy had originally been purchased from (he's
the only one I ever bought from a store).  I got him as a kit of 9 weeks
(I was able to confirm his DOB from Path Valley Farms) and he was just the
cutest thing!  I found that he was cuddle-able, if you gave him snacks
while laying him on his back like you would a baby that you were feeding.
He had gotten used to that and to this day, I can pick him up and flop him
over on his back, *without* giving him any snacks, and he'll stay that way
for several minutes at a time, while I run his chest, or play with his huge
feet, or scratch his chin!  :) I guess it depends on how you raise them! :)

>Anyway I believe that taking an animal of any sort into your house
>requires an understanding of how that animal behaves and interacts, and
>it bugs me that people don't get this.  RTFM, as they say.

I know...RTFM  means "Read The Ferret Manual", right? :)

Todd and the Fuzzbutt Rodeo Clowns!

---
Help a Shelter!
http://GiftsAndCollectibles.sites.cc/