Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 17:41:18 -0400
RE:
>I brought my ferret to my vet because she was vomiting and grinding her
>teeth.  He did some xrays and a barium series and found she has a hairball.

>Now here's the question: The vet prescribed Enulose (I believe this is a
>laxative) and unpasteurized pineapple juice for her.  Is this a solid
>treatment?  She really doesn't seem to be responding to it and she's still
>vomiting and grinding (though not as frequently).  Should I just tell
>the vet that I want him to remove the hairball surgically?  Any of your
>thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated!

Hi!  We've been through hairball problems/surgery before.  I do not know if
Enulose is a laxative although with "ose" on the end I would guess it might
be a nutritional support.  BUT no matter what - if it doesn't produce
results within 6-12 hours (all it should take to work anything through a
ferret's system if it is going to go) and she is still vomiting then you
MUST have your vet do the emergency surgery to remove the obstruction.  The
longer she goes with vomiting and lack of food the weaker she will be
getting through surgery.  Ferrets bounce back remarkably fast after this
surgery (not that they don't need special attention for a few days).
Please let the list know how things turn out!

Karla
Meep and Daisy