From:
John M Dovie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Aug 1998 14:57:13 -0400
First off:
i want to thank everyone who sent me email regarding the introduction of
roscoe to cookie, the resident alien.  i listened to all of your advice,
but i don't have time to thank all of you personally.

Second:
update for those who don't know:  i recently got a young male ferret and
introduced him (roscoe) to an older female ferret (cookie) who i've had for
about a year now.  roscoe is about two years old, and very playful.  he is
also bigger than cookie.

the problem was this:  roscoe is biting cookie on the back of her neck and
shaking like a little shark.  this scares me.  they both start squeeling
and i feel for cookie, so i seperate them.

i was told this is "normal."  well, ok, so it is.  but it's hard to deal
with because she's like my little baby or something.  so, i let them at it
again....

the semi-ignore each other and trot around the room exploring, but when
they cross paths, it starts.  roscoe starts by sniffing cookie's behind and
cookie kinda walks away trying to ignore him.  then he get's all hoppity
and starts biting her on the neck and she gets scared.  all she wants to do
is run away.

what should i do?  their cages are next to each other, i switch their
bedding, and sometimes i even put them in opposite cages (roscoe in
cookie's, cookie in roscoe's).  it doesn't look like it's working.  any
suggestions?

john