Date:
Sun, 16 Sep 2001 12:12:41 EDT
Insight and sensitivity:
Now you see it
Now you do not.

Now you see it.................
My thanks to the moderator of this list for his wisdom, flexibility, and
evolvement of HIS work of art: the FML.  BIG: The sensitivity and insight
you have shown in your decisions has shown a growth and concern that
personally makes me proud to be a member of the FML.  You make some tough
calls, and can never please everybody.  But I appreciate it very much
when you write of your decisions and why you made them.  Thank you.

Now you don't see it................
The latest news article on the Utah ferrets has come out.  At first, my
eyes were misty with relief to KNOW from the media that a large number of
the ferrets have been rescued.

Then I read again the journalists article, and his previous one.  It is
without compassion, and I feel in more than bad taste towards life.
Stench seems to be this mans thread of the Utah ferrets.

There was such a story here that I am not at liberty to share.  And lives
hung in the balance.  What to do, who to call, how they were, what they
needed could have been discussed.  The discrepancies that never seemed to
end could have been investigated.  A story of one ferret-how it was turned
in to Jen, its name, how it was fairing, could have been written up,
perhaps.  A call to people who wished to help clean and feed the ferrets
could have gone out from the paper.  Do you see what I am trying to say?

This man had choices.

I wrote kindly to the journalist who is probably very young and may just
be an uncaring person, or does not like animals, or cannot write well, to
ask him to replace the word ferrets with children.  Or dogs, or cats.

Excrement from so many bodies housed in a small condo or garage is going
to stink-no matter the living being-Tigers, children, rats.  The articles
made it seem like ferrets were filthy smelly problems in general.  Things
with less than no value.

http://www.standard.net/standard/news/news_story.html?sid=00010912222115949436
+cat=news+template=news1.htm

The words on the FML this week from BIG, and the reporters words covering
the story of the Utah ferrets compelled me on this lovely day to write
this.  The contrast for me --Personally-- was like a chasm between two
mountain peaks.

Insight and sensitivity.  Thank God we have it here on the FML.
Lisette

[Moderator's note: Well, it's nice of you to say that, but I have to admit
that sometimes I'm asleep on the job too (literally, actually ;-))  I sure
am getting a lot of comments about a post I let in a couple of days ago
which was not appropriate!  BIG]