From:
Renee Dierfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2009 07:33:41 -0800
>HOw didi you get your ferret certified as a service animal? What
>services does he provide. Do you have problems taking your ferret
>out as a service animal. What criteria did you use picking out your
>ferret? Is your animal trained or did you select him based soley on
>temperment.

Hi, I take my one lil girl out as a service animal and she is not
actually certified, but we have got the ok to go ahead and bring
her out from each facility, given she is current on health exams,
and shots which of course she is :)

I take her out as a theraputic animal, we go to assistant living and
nursing homes. Basically she goes there and enjoys the much love that
is given to her from all the individuals there, the residents just go
wild over her, all waiting thier turn to get to hold my lil girl, and
pat her. They get so excited to see her come in, all racing over as
fast as they can. My lil girl just adores her role, she loves the human
interaction she gets and all the love that is being shared with her.

Its really rewarding to both her and the residents, and of course me
because I was able to put a smile in thier day. Whats amazing is she
knows when she is there, its her duty! She gets there and she dont try
to squirm or get down from anyone, she just sits there so peacefully
with each person, this is amazing to me because we all know after a
good bit usually the kids are done and ready to get down to play (like
she does at home), but here, nope, she'll sit with the residents as
long as they please so content, she knows her role in this... and its
beautifull how well she enjoys it! She gets so excited once we get
there pacing, just cant wait to get in the door and into someones arms.

I choose my girl with one big factor, temperment. I know I can fully
trust her not to nip someone, unlike my boys (one who has issues from
being rescued, the other just a baby). So you need to make sure they
dont nip, period unless your just going to be holding them as they pat.
Plus what comes into factor is she really is a cuddle bug, and she
loves her humans, she prefers us to ferrets. So those 2 qualities
really made her perfect for the job.

I also will bring my small dog in, he goes in and puts on a big display
of tricks and things, but with all that....... they still want to see
the ferret if they had a choice! They rather see my wee one.