From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jun 2004 16:15:26 -0400
I have been told that it is unacceptable for me to not disclose what I
was told in private about some ferrets in relation to getting a Lupron
other than the one they thought they were getting.

Sorry, but that is life.  Cope with it.

If someone tells me that something is in private and there is no risk
in my honoring that then I honor it.  It is that simple.  I've always
been like that.  Some other times there may be things which I can share
with a few whose discretion I trust and then I do that.

I do NOT go blabbing out someone else's business.  That is their choice.
If they do it, they do it, if they don't they don't.  My choice is to
respect their confidences, and it annoys me greatly if others figure
that they have a right to tell me to compromise myself by not honoring
the privacy of others when doing so is still the right thing to do.

Frankly, in this case it isn't pertinent to my point, anyway.

I understand that what is being seen varies and that I accept.  To me
that simply means that there are all sorts of holes in the hypotheses
on each side and a lot more needs to be learned and studied.  IT'S
THAT SIMPLE.  If someone has trouble with the state of knowledge being
imperfect that is also something I can't do anything about, though this
time due to human limitations rather than the choices I make which cause
me to not be disappointed with myself.

My point is that those who sell the medication need to make it clear WHAT
medicine is being purchased.  The loose use of the word "monthly" without
explanation that what is being sold is is not the monthly depot which
releases medication over time is NOT the way to clearly impart to people
what they are buying.

Sorry, but if someone tries to bully me, esp.  right from the start of a
letter (at which point I stop reading, I just add that person's mails to
my junk list.  My computer learns rapidly which addies to discard, and I
have found that life is busy enough without them while being far more
pleasant.

I was brought up in a retail family and was in retail management before I
first nursed Mom through terminal cancer and helped Dad avoid bankruptcy
and my kid sister to grow up, and then put myself through school.
Because I spend so long in retail I had it throughly drummed into me that
wording about a product MUST be clear and understandable to the customer.
That is no less true for the medications bought for ferrets than it was
for the jewelry, gifts, and clothing I sold.  The way to get trust is to
earn trust and being honest with the customer earns trust.  Sometimes
such miscommunications happen by accident but once known about they need
to cleared up and efforts made to avoid the same verbal trap in later
years.

There is my point: the seller needs to vastly improve communications with
the purchasers, because in this case there is the risk that those whose
vets would clearly know this is not the right med for certain given
ferrets simply are not getting clear enough information to be able to
make that judgment call.  It must be pointed out that this is a novel use
still, that this is the 24 hour med, that this is not the depot so it
does not continue to release medication over the set time frame, and that
just as there are more ferret who respond to the larger depots than the
smaller ones, there will be a number who will not have beneficial effects
from this small very temporary dose.  Those who want to can read the
alternative hypothesis which points out some possible risks to consider,
but those first four point need to be made clearly to purchasers.  I'm
not about to argue hypotheses because they are only hypotheses on each
side so it would be an empty exercise.  I DO expect a seller to be clear
with customers, though.  (And there is my point once again so I hope
people get it this time.  PLEASE, finally understand it.)

(If I sound annoyed with the audacity depicted in that letter I got, yes,
I am.  I would rather, though, that people just forget about that aspect
because the list is too over-ridden with good discussions which get
destroyed by those distracted by minor themes like who annoyed whom --
which doesn't really matter a whit in the course of things.)